Adult Medicaid

If you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you are automatically covered for North Carolina Medicaid. You do not need to apply for Medicaid. However, if you need assistance with nursing home cost of care, you would have to update your Medicaid record. You may apply at the County Department of Social Services (DSS) in the county where you live.

How to Apply

If possible, take the following items listed with you when you go to the DSS office to apply:

  • Certified birth certificates or other proof of citizenship/alien status for each individual applying for Medicaid/NCHC
  • Identity documents for each individual applying for Medicaid/NCHC
  • Social security cards, social security numbers, or proof that you have made an application for a number from the Social Security Office, for each individual applying for Medicaid or NCHC
  • A copy of all pay stubs for the last 3 months
  • Copies of all medical or life insurance policies
  • A list of all cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, etc. you or anyone in your household own, including the year, make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) for each item
  • Most recent bank statements
  • A list of all real property you own
  • Current financial statements/award letters from other sources of income, such as social security, retirement benefits, pensions, veteran benefits, and child support.

If you are unable to go to a DSS office, you may also print and mail completed Medicaid Applications to your local DSS office, or you may call and ask that an application be mailed to you. Faxed applications and applications received over the internet are not acceptable. Some health centers and hospitals have application forms available and may be able to assist you in completing them.

Additional Information

For more information, please contact Beaufort County Department of Social Services at 252-975-5500 and ask for someone in Adult Medicaid.